首页 > 英语单词

中山美联英语:读故事记托福单词 Facing Your Fear

2014-11-18 16:48   类别:语法   来源:   责编:Simple

中山美联英语:

I'm averse to flying.

我很反感坐飞机,

It's not that I don't have a backbone.

倒不是因为我没骨气。

In fact, I am otherwise very brave.

事实上,除了坐飞机外,我相当勇敢。

I wear a police badge everyday and I arrest dangerous criminals.

每天我都戴着警徽,逮捕凶险的罪犯。

My aversion to aviation dates back to when I was a child.

我对飞行的反感还要从我小时候说起。

When I was years old, my baby-sitter took me on a short flight to visit my mom.

8岁时,我的临时保姆带我坐短途飞机去看妈妈,

We flew in a small plane.

我们搭的是一架小飞机。

The weather conditions were very bad that day.

那天天气相当糟糕。

Halfway to our destination, we hit a terrible storm.

才飞了一半的路程,我们就撞上了暴风雨,

The aviator lost control of the plane.

结果飞机完全不停飞行员使唤。

The powerful wind made the plane to several barrel rolls.

强劲的风力弄得飞机翻了好几个横滚,

It was like me were in a ball that was spinning on an axis.

简直就像个绕轴心旋转的球。

After a few seconds, the avaitor regained control and averted a disaster.

几秒钟后,飞行员重新控制住飞机,方才避免了异常灾难。

I avowed never to fly in a small plane again.

我发誓再也不坐飞机了。

That story should serve as a dufficient backdrop for my fear of flying.

这个故事足以作为我惧怕坐飞机的背景。

However, I'm an avid fisherman.

然而,我却非常热衷于钓鱼。

In fact, fishing is my avocation.

事实上,钓鱼是我的一大嗜好。

To me, there's nothing like putting bait on you hook and casting it in a peaceful stream.

对我来说,给鱼勾上饵然后将鱼钩投进宁静的小溪是再美不过的事了:

No phones to ring, no supervisors to badger you.

没有电话在叮铃作响,没有主管来烦你。

I'm still a bachelor, so I have plenty of time for fishing.

我有是个单身汉,因此有充足的时间来钓鱼。

The problem is that now, the best fishing spots are accessible only by small planes.

现在,问题在于最好的钓鱼地点都只有乘坐小飞机才能到达。

Thus, I find myself looking rather awkward today as I stumble and stagger towards the small plane that awaits me.

于是乎,我跌跌撞撞地走向正在等我的小飞机,一面觉得自己今天尤为笨拙。

Why am I flying when I know how dangerous it is?

我干吗明知有危险,还要照飞不误呢?

Is this fishing spot really so great?

这个钓鱼的地方真的很棒吗?

My awareness of the danger is suppressed only by my thoughts of fabulous fishing.

唯有想想钓鱼的美好才能让我忘却危险的意识。

But I can hardly keep my balance as I struggle forward with my baggage.

但在拉着行李往前赶时,我几乎无法保持平衡。

Just like any other fear, you have to face it one step at a time.

对付任何恐惧感,你必须一步一个脚印地直面应对,不可回避。

averse adj.反对的,不愿意的

aversion n.厌恶,憎恨

avert vt.避免,规避

aviation n.航空,航空学

aviator n.飞行家

avid adj.渴望的,热心的

avocation n.副业,嗜好

avow v.公开承认,公开宣称

awareness n.意识

awkward adj.笨拙的,不灵活的

axis n.轴,轴心

baby-sitter n.担任临时保姆,代人照顾婴儿者

bachelor n.(文、理)学士;单身汉

backbone n.骨干,支柱;脊椎,中枢;骨气;坚毅,毅力

backdrop n.舞台背景,背景

badge n.徽章,证章(以示身份)

badger v.一再烦扰,一再要求;n.獾(一种动物)

baggage n.行李

bait v.以饵引诱(动物),把饵装上;n.诱饵,引诱物

balance n.平衡;vt.使....平衡,使....均衡




更多精彩内容尽在中山美联英语:http://zs.enguo.com/

赞一下( ) 收藏
适合人群:商务白领
难度:
标签:语法  
我要参与
验证码:   看不清楚,换张图片
精彩活动